Extension Agent, Agriculture and Natural Resources - Farm Business Management
The Northern District, which includes 28 counties in Northern Virginia, encompasses a diverse mix of agricultural businesses. My extension efforts revolve around helping help part-time and full time producers formulate plans to improve the profitability of their farms and conducting workshops for families considering transferring the farm to the next generation.
Many urban residents from Northern Virginia are purchasing acreage in rural areas with the intention of creating small farms. I work with new landowners in the areas of business planning, budgeting, record keeping and the selection of potentially profitable and suitable farming operations for their acreages.
Crop, hay, livestock, machinery and farm budgets are utilized to help producers determine their costs of production. Using my extensive practical experience in production agriculture and work as an agricultural lender; I assist producers in developing realistic strategies to improve the long term viability of their farms.
The average age of Virginia farmers is 58 years. I manage the Farm Transition Workshop Series for the Northern District. This program helps farm owners and the “next generation” to plan for the successful transfer of the farm land and business. I work with family members assessing personal and business goals and analyzing their farms’ financial and production records. Then I am able to help families select enterprises which are compatible with their personal and business objectives.
- 1979 Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, Master of Science, Dairy Farm Management (Agricultural Economics); Minor: Banking and Finance
- 1976 Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, Bachelor of Science, Agricultural Economics
- 2008 - 2017: Volunteer Farm Business Management Specialist, USAID Farmer-to-Farmer Program, Bangladesh, Malawi, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia
- 2006-Present: Northern District Farm Business Management Extension Agent, Culpeper, VA
- 2002-2006: Loan officer, Farm Service Agency, Hollidaysburg, PA
- 2000-2001: Agricultural and Farmland Protection Specialist, Monroe County Department of Planning and Economic Development, Rochester, NY
- 1989-1999: Owner/Operator, Callan Farms, Wyoming, NY
- 1985-1989: Kelley-Callan Farms, Caledonia, NY, Partner, 1985-1989, Herdsman, 1980-1981
- 1981-1984: Farm Consultant, Agway Inc., Batavia, NY
- National Association of County Agricultural Agents
- Virginia Association of Agricultural Extension Agents
- Virginia Extension Service Association Board of Directors
- 540-727-3435 ext. 342